In this episode, I talk to Dr. Michael Breus about how sleep correlates to weight loss and overall health!
Q: How does sleep deprivation effect our weight?
Sleep deprivation has to do with the amount of sleep you get, as well as the quality of sleep you get.
1. When we are sleep deprived, our metabolism slows down and doesn’t expend the energy we want. The theory is that your body wants to hold on to resources because it doesn’t know why it’s still awake. So basically it goes into idle and doesn’t burn as many calories.
2. When you’re sleep deprived, your fight-or-flight response kicks in and your cortisol levels raise. Cortisol is a stress hormone, and elevated levels can burn out your adrenal glands and increases your appetite.
3. Hormonally there are changes as well! Be aware of Ghrelin, this is the hormone that makes you hungry. You have 20% MORE Ghrelin when you are sleep deprived. Leptin is the hormone that makes you want to stop eating and when you are sleep deprived, you have 15% less Leptin.
4. Lastly, lets address food! The high carbohydrate, high sugar foods release serotonin, the feel good hormone.
All of the above set us up for weight gain!
Dr. Breus’s TOP SLEEP TIPS!
1) Go to bed at the same time and wake up at the same time each day, including the weekends
2) Eliminate Caffeine by 2pm- but chocolate is OK
3) Exercise Daily
4) Slow alcohol 3 hours before bed
5) Get sunlight every am for 15 min
6) Consider a massage at night before sleep, for relaxation
7) Cool your bedroom 65-75 degrees
Dr. Breus shares his opinion and gives his medical advice on:
– The hustle mentality that is infiltrating the world of entrepreneurs and how that effects life span and overall health.
– The 8 hour sleep myth.
– How to determine your appropriate bed time for your sleep cycle.
– How to adjust your sleep patterns.
– The 4 chronotypes: Lions, Bears, Wolves, and Dolphins.
– Are you getting too much sleep?
– Sex and how it relates to sleep!
Take the Quiz >> thepowerofwhenquiz.com
Dr. Breus’s Resources: