I recently polled my over 700k followers on Instagram and asked “What subject lines have you read that made you open that email?”
With over 26k responses, I feel the results are super telling and instructive! So today, I’ll share the top 25 subject lines that grabbed people’s attention and — most importantly — made them open the email. You may be surprised at the winners VS what I loved the most. But either way, the hope is that this episode provides ideas and guidance for your next email subject line!
You’ll find out:
- The importance of making the subject line something people asked for
- What is a clickbait email
- What is leading with the transformation
- What is a value-based email
- Why you should use all lower case letters in your subject lines (usually)
- Why you should reframe (some of) the subject lines below so that they work for you / your brand
- Sneak peek into next week’s Quick Tip Tuesday
Best Email Subject Lines (from my poll) in no particular order:
- do you need a butt-kicking?
- order tracking update
- what’s next???
- you’re special and so is this…
- your order is on the way
- I need your help
- open your eyes
- Buy one get one free
- hang out with me for an hour
- I am 💩 my pants excited
- did you do this?
- very boring, but very important (please read)
- I screwed up / I’m sorry / I blew it
- our biggest ______ of the year (fill in the blank: giveaway, sale, tip, event, takeaway, etc.)
- Action required
- per our conversation… can I ask a question? (or… can I ask a favor?)
- you’re gorgeous
- have you given up on this?
Examples of Transformational subject lines:
- wanna gain 10,000 followers overnight?
- lose 10 pounds over the holidays!
- finally, relief from anxiety!
- get an extra hour of sleep tonight
- enjoy your most productive week ever
- younger-looking skin in 30 days!
Examples of Fear of Missing Out / Setting the Urgency / Time Sensitive subject lines:
- don’t let your 33% off membership exclusive slip away
- last opportunity in 2021
- Last chance! This goes away at midnight
- limited run
- limited quantities
- Hurry! Selling out fast!
- we’ll never make this offer again
- just a few spots left! (first come, first serve)
Examples of Curiosity (“what the heck?”) subject lines:
- I took my mom to buy a rubber dress
- the time that I peed my pants in public
- the most expensive mistake I ever made
- well, that was embarrassing
Any subject line that uses the word sale (but keep in mind these are more likely to end up in the spam folder):
- our biggest sale of the year
- our Black Friday sale
- because we love you – flash sale today!
Examples of Value-Based email subject lines:
- my top 5 Spotify playlists for workouts
- download my free social media content calendar
- 5 binge-worthy Netflix series
- CliffsNotes of the 3 best books I’ve read this year
- my top 10 holiday picks
- steal these top 25 email subject lines (which I’ll be sending to MIA members!)
Examples of simple email subject lines:
- zip in, check out
- what’s up?
- how are you? no really, how are you?
- please open
- please read
- please respond
- thinking about you
Examples of controversial subject lines:
- you deserve to know the truth
- this shocked me
- I am speechless 😮🙊
- I have never shared this publicly before
- why I left the fitness industry
Important Links from the Show
Click here to subscribe to Build Your Tribe!
Click here to rate and review!
Make sure you scroll down, tap to rate with 5 stars, and then select, “Write a Review.” Then be sure to DM me with a screenshot and I’ll do my best to read your review on the air!
Check out InstaClubHub! The ONLY All-In-One Instagram Resource Community Designed To… Grow Your Following and Reach More Customers on Instagram™ (All in Just Five Minutes a Day!)
If you liked this episode, check out Episode #484 – How to Get Their Best Email |Quick Tip Tuesday
Leave me a message about this episode!
To submit requests for The Chalene Show: firstname.lastname@example.org
To submit requests for Build Your Tribe: email@example.com