My goal is to always serve you by teaching you what I’ve learned, in hopes that it brings you clarity and makes your life easier. Today is all about fitness myths because unfortunately there are a TON out there! I think fitness is such an important part of life. It’s more than just weight or body fat, it’s about bringing out the best in you. When we work out, we’re nicer, more affectionate with our spouse, more productive at work, etc etc etc! However, there are a lot of myths out there that can throw you in a bunch of different directions. So I’m here to dispel those and bring you some clarity!
1. That muscle weighs more than fat – What this actually means is that muscle is denser than fat, and that fat takes up more space than fat.
2. That you burn more calories while you workout versus after your workout – Some workout’s offer an after burn affect were the body continues to burn calories after the workout stops.
3. That you can spot train – Sorry to say, but you cannot spot train. You can decrease fat % over the entire body, but not in a single location on the body.
4. When you lift weights, you’ll bulk up – This myth drives me crazy! The reason is because weight training is so important for overall fat reduction and keeping your body strong. The bottom line is, you need to lift weights to burn more fat and to burn more calories at rest. Men hormonally are built to build larger amounts of muscle, but women are not. A lot of this also has to do with genetics.
5. That ab exercises will give you flat abs – Doing abdominal exercises will not give you a six-pack. Everyone technically has a “six-pack”, but it’s the subcutaneous fat around the stomach area that needs to decrease for you to be able to see them. Ab exercises are so important for maintaining core strength, but will not “give” you a six-pack. Seeing your six-pack comes from your nutrition.
6. That the best time to exercise is in the morning – No! The best time to workout is the time that YOU will stay committed and do your workout.
Links from this episode:
Chalenes twitter account: https://twitter.com/ChaleneJohnson
Use the hashtags: #fitnessmyths #sorrynotsorry
Chalene’s FREE 7-Day Eat Clean Train Mean Program: www.cj7day.com
Chalene’s FREE 30 Day PUSH Program for mastering organization and achieving your goals: www.30daypush.com
2:00 why fitness is important
2:55 how fitness improves your life overall
3:40 forget the weight loss, think about fitness and how it improves your true potential
3:55 myth 1: muscle weighs more than fat
4:50 Chalene’s experience with losing fat, being the same weight, and not being able to fit into her clothes
5:58 weight can increase when we weight train, however this is not typically due to a dramatic increase in muscle mass… this has to do with the body holding on to water
7:15 don’t get on the scale when you start a new workout routine or if you’re sore
7:48 myth 2: that you burn more calories during your workout versus after
8:14 post workout calorie burn
8:55 HIIT training and fat burning
9:35 myth 3: that you can spot train
10:45 Chalene talks about fat cells in the body
11:10 the size of the cell either increases or shrinks
11:45 you can reduce body fat all over not in 1 single spot
12:40 Chalene Extreme
13:00 myth 4: that if you lift, you’ll bulk up
14:03 these fears are perpetuated in the media
14:44 women can’t bulk up because they do not produce enough of the hormone needed to do so
16:21 myth 5: that ab exercises will give you flat abs
16:55 flat abs come from a decrease in body fat.
17:58 Chalene talks about subcutaneous fat
19:22 myth 6: that lose skin can be tightened with exercise
21:17 the longer you are heavy, the harder it is for the skin to rebound
23:07 what you put in your body matters and does effect your skin and it’s elasticity
23:53 myth 7: that the best time to workout is in the morning
24:48 benefits to working out in the morning
25:20 study on working out from 12-6 pm
26:24 working out in a fasted state