Disclaimer: This episode discusses sensitive subjects. I share messages from parents who have teens or young adults suffering from anxiety, depression, suicidal ideations, self-harm or gender identity. Today’s show is relevant to everyone — as we all know a teen/young adult, directly or indirectly, who’s struggling.
You’ll find out:
- The age in which over half of all mental conditions emerge
- The status of mental health re: young people in the last few years
- Voice messages from listeners sharing their stories re: their kids’ mental health
- Why/how, for parents, mental health issues re: their kids can be more difficult to navigate than physical health issues
- How to know the difference between a teen who is trying to establish their own identity and create some autonomy vs truly struggling
- The guilt that comes along with being a parent (i.e., wondering if they’re to blame for their child’s problem)
- Tips on what to do with that guilt
- The effects the pandemic/social media has had (and continues to have) on the mental health of young adults
- How to balance your teens and their social media intake
- Why parents should eliminate (from their kids) as many things online as possible
- Parents share what has helped them the most during these challenging times with their kids’ mental health
- Advice on finding the right therapist for your teen
- Why you can’t take anything your teen says personally
- What helps kids during these rough times (from parents who have been through it)
Important Links from the Show
Make sure you scroll down, tap to rate with 5 stars, and then select, “Write a Review.” Then be sure to DM me with a screenshot and I’ll do my best to read your review on the air!
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (available 24 hours): 800-273-8255
Reach out to Dr. Mcayla
Crisis Hotlines for Teens and Young Adults
- YouthLine: Text teen2teen to 839863, or call 1-877-968-8491
- Teen Line 1-800-TLC-TEEN (852-8336) A teen-to-teen confidential helpline open from 6-10 pm every night.
- The Trevor Project: 1-866-488-7386 or text START to 678678
- Trans Lifeline: 1-877-565-8860
- LGBT National Youth Talkline: 1-800-246-7743
If you liked this episode, check out Episode #464 – HEIDI D’AMELIO — CHARLI & DIXIE’S MOM — ON PARENTING FUNDAMENTALS IN A SOCIAL MEDIA DRIVEN WORLD
Leave me a message about this episode!
To submit requests for The Chalene Show: email@example.com
To submit requests for Build Your Tribe: firstname.lastname@example.org