In this episode, I interview Michael Stelzner about how he created an incredible following online without being the face of the brand.
- How to create a movement that people want to support and get behind.
- How to monetize and grow your business through incredible free content.
- Tip: your best content should always be free and it needs to be so rich that people want to share it.
- How Michael has used his list to not only grow his online events, but also his live ones.
- Don’t let failure hold you back. Every successful person has had many many failures.
- Be who you are and use that to your benefit.
- Know what your weaknesses are.
- Passion is an amazing driver of force, but make sure you have a business model to back up that passion or else your business may fail.
- Michael’s one piece of valuable advice on serving your online community.
- Michael’s Podcast, Social Media Marketing: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/social-media-marketing-podcast/id549899114?mt=2
- Social Media Examiner: www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Michael’s secondary blog: www.mykidsadventure.com
- Social Media Success Summit: http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/smssummit/
0:07 In this episode: Michael Stelzner
0:56 What in the world am I doing in a basketbal court?
1:37 Do you know Michael Stelzner? I don’t 🙂
3:20 Expect shocking revelations in this interview
4:38 Why is Michael such an elusive guy on the web
6:08 Michael’s POV on personal brand vs business brand
6:31 What’s the reason behind Social Media Examiner’s branding strategy
9:05 What was missing in 2009?
9:58 The plan and monetization question
11:23 What draws people to live events and invest their time and money?
12:42 Are you qualified to be on Social Media Examiner?
13:52 Is the Social Media Examiner’s success repeatable?
14:18 Is your site part of the “ambulance chasers”
14:39 The magic sauce to success
15:35 Hear this: “Fame is Mike’s weakness”
18:31 When the world tells you you’re awesome, don’t believe it at face value
18:57 When it’s good to be paranoid
20:32 You can be successfull by being who you are
22:15 The story behind mykidsadventures.com
22:58 Can your passion based business survive without a business model?
26:16 What is your spouse’s role in your business?
27:48 Invest more on family than on business ventures
29:59 What can an email list do for your business?
31:00 The most effective way to draw people to your website and join your list
33:51 The Leader
35:26 The four steps to gauging if you are an expert
35:32 Are you an excellent communicator?
35:45 Step 2: Deep domain knowledge
35:52 Step 3: Are you a book author
36:03 Step 4: Are they known to your audience
37:46 Michael Stelzner’s personal advice for the newbies who want to build a tribe
38:42 Social Media Success Summit
40:26 Parting words