While this episode is very important for everyone, it’s especially important if you have children in your life. Technology is such a normal thing today that even kids as young as 3 can navigate devices — like iPads or cellphones. Hence, it’s imperative to know how to keep them safe from the ugliness that can be found on the internet.
My guest is Fareedah Shaheed, a cyber security expert who specializes in keeping children and families safe online. We discuss which parental control apps are best, what you should do to ensure your kids are safe when gaming, the importance of securing your WiFi router with parental controls and SO MUCH MORE!
The intention of this episode is not to scare you, but, rather, educate you! We must ensure the safety of our children and families.
You’ll find out:
- How Fareedah got involved in the industry of cyber security
- What age should you get your kid a phone?
- Are you doing your kids a favor by NOT getting them a phone?
- What sort of device Fareedah recommends giving your kids
- Is it a good idea to allow your kids to have a GPS watch?
- What is Roadblocks and what you need to know about it re: your kids
- What parents need to know before kids download games and apps
- Why Fareedah recommends therapy for your kids and YOU
- Thoughts on security for apps
- What you need to know about children (different ages) and chats online
- Why it’s never too late to provide safety for your kids online
- Which are the best parental apps
- What makes an app unsafe
- Top 3 safest apps
- Unsafe things to look out for in apps
- When kids are ready for Snapchat, TikTok, etc.
- The protocol parents should follow after an app (for kids) has been downloaded
- Why I, personally, went in to Ninja Mom mode and spied on my kids
- Fareedah’s surprising Step 1 to ensure your kids’ safety
- Is there an app that allows parents to see everything kids are doing on their phone?
- Is there any way we can 100% ensure our kids’ safety online?
- Fareedah’s thoughts on sharing family content (e.g., child in bathtub, child’s school, etc.) online
IMPORTANT LINKS FROM THE SHOW
Make sure you scroll down, tap to rate with 5 stars, and then select, “Write a Review.” Then be sure to DM me with a screenshot and I’ll do my best to read your review on the air!
Top Parental Control Apps
Connect with Fareedah
Join the Chile Safety Group Safekidsmovement.com
Download the Patreon App and Join The Chalene Show at patreon.com/TheChaleneShow
If you liked this episode, check out Episode #606 – From Sex Trafficking Survivor To Hero Mom, Elizabeth Frazier