Eve grew up in a very small town and always knew there was something different about her, but what she uncovered was filled with injustice and deception.
I talk with Eve Wiley about how she discovered she was conceived via a sperm donor. Her journey to uncover the mystery of her biological father is filled with twists and turns and, ultimately, an unbelievable outcome — that now finds her advocating for changes in the laws in 42 states where fertility fraud is still legal.
You’ll find out:
- Eve’s backstory
- How sperm banks/donors worked in the 80s
- The doctor’s recommendation to Eve’s parents (re: sperm donor)
- How anonymity breeds fraud
- Things that raise doubt re: why Eve’s father sought a sperm donor
- Experiences (growing up) that caused Eve to know something wasn’t right
- What happened with Eve at 16 that led to her finding out the truth
- The surprising emotion Eve felt when finding out the truth
- Forced gratitude many adopted / sperm donor children experience
- Why it felt like a second chance when Eve discovered the truth
- The process in which Eve had to wait until she was 18 to find her artificial insemination donor (bio dad)
- The very first time Eve met her biological father and the relationship that developed
- When things changed for Eve re: her bio dad
- Does a donor typically know how many offspring they may have produced?
- Why there are crazy numbers of half siblings in the US
- When Eve discovered her DNA doesn’t match her “bio” dad’s
- The difficult decisions/choices Eve made that truly show her character (that could’ve remained a secret)
- The motivation of the doctor
- Did Eve confront the doctor and did he accept culpability?
- The advice Eve gave her mom re: the deception and how to accept things
- Did Eve get the impression she was the first to confront the doc?
- How Eve’s experience is an example of rape culture
- Eve’s professional life before she became an advocate (and how it helped with her understanding of victimization)
- The problem with doctors policing doctors
- How/why hair salons (for example) have to worry about violations more than doctors do
- Eve’s suggestion as to where to start if you suspect you might be doctor-conceived
- The power and corruption of NDAs
- How we can help re: patients rights and legislation
- How YOU made a difference by my simply tagging people on a Reel re: Bills
Important Links from the Show
Make sure you scroll down, tap to rate with 5 stars, and then select, “Write a Review.” Then be sure to DM me with a screenshot and I’ll do my best to read your review on the air!
Learn More About Eve at www.evewiley.com
States Fertility Fraud is Still Legal Go Here to See if Your State is on the List
Donor Conceived on Instagram
If you have Experienced Fertility Fraud Join The Donor Deceived Facebook Group
Download the Patreon App and Join The Chalene Show at patreon.com/TheChaleneShow
If you liked this episode, check out Episode #797 – Love is Love | A Surrogacy Journey with Scott and Shaun T Blokker
Leave me a message about this episode!
To submit requests for The Chalene Show: firstname.lastname@example.org
To submit requests for Build Your Tribe: email@example.com