What is GDPR & Is Your Business GDPR Compliant
This was a bit of an impromptu interview. I had scheduled time to sit down and talk with Autumn about keeping your business safe when it comes to photos, trademarks, domains, etc. However, with the GDPR law going into place May 25th, 2018, this subject seemed even more important to address.
While this law applies in the European Union, almost anyone doing business online needs to sit up and pay attention. In addition, it will likely come into effect in the U.S. at some point as well. So should you freak out? Today, we’ll talk about where you’ll need to make some changes, consequences of overlooking this regulation, and how to go about making sure your business is safe.
What You Will Learn In This Podcast on GDPR Compliance:
- What is GDPR and how does it affect you and your business? (4:00)
- Does this law affect just the EU or does it affect U.S. business owners, too? (5:00)
- How the new GDPR regulation affects more than just email marketing. (6:00)
- What you have to do in order to be in compliance. (7:00)
- 3 top suggestions for making sure your email list is GDPR compliant. (12:30)
- The consequences of overlooking this regulation. (19:00)
- How much time are you given to become compliant? (20:30)
- Catchy subject lines for getting people to re-engage on your email list. (25:00)
- Suggested language for cookie banners: “We use technologies such as cookies to customize content and advertising to provide social media features and analyze traffic to our site. We also share information about your use of our site with our trusted social media advertising and analytics partners.” (30:00)
- Will GDPR eventually come into effect in the U.S.? (34:00)
- How to make sure your opt-in’s and freemiums are compliant. (34:10)
This episode provides an outline on the best practices and what to do if you want to be on the right side of the law. Now, it’s up to you to decide if you want to comply. Ultimately, you have a choice in your business. You have to look at your own ethics and way of doing business, weigh the risks and benefits, and decide if you want to attack this issue head on in your business.
I hope you enjoyed this episode! It’s super topical, and I hope you’re share it with fellow business owners or people starting a business. Be on the lookout for a future episode with Autumn where we go into more detail on this as well as trademarks, domains, copywriting and more!
Important Links from the Show
Follow Autumn on Facebook:
Listen to Autumn’s Podcast “The Legal Roadmap”:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/legal-road-map-copyright-trademark-business-law-info/id1175490379?mt=2
MailChimp Example for Cookies
GDPR WordPress Plugins
If you liked this episode, check out “Make Your Money Grow with Bret Johnson.”
Leave me a message about this episode!
To submit requests for The Chalene Show: firstname.lastname@example.org
To submit requests for Build Your Tribe: email@example.com