I interview Jon Youshaei, former YouTube Head of Creator Product Marketing. Today, though, he is the Product Marketing Manager for Instagram’s IGTV! To be honest, I was super excited to see just how far I could pull back the curtain on the inside workings of Instagram — and Jon does not disappoint! He shares tons of insight, including: new features soon to be rolled out, why some people have certain features (and others don’t), how seriously IG takes it when you report bugs / give feedback and so much more! Bottom line: If you use Instagram at all, this episode is a MUST-LISTEN!
You’ll also find out:
- Jon’s backstory
- What factored into Jon fully immersing himself into his job at IG
- Will Jon use his insider knowledge to grow his own brand one day?
- Why video retention on Instagram is less than YouTube or Facebook (and how to fix it)
- Is vertical or horizontal video best and why
- What are Badges
- The differences between a Creator and Business account
- The ideal place to put your hashtags
- The benefits of using IGTV vs Reels (and vice versa)
- What Jon sees for the future of Reels
- Why some accounts have music (or allowed to) and others don’t
- Are likes really going away?
- How to use Stories to promote the stuff in your Feed
- When Captions will change (to improve writing paragraphs, etc.)
- How much the timing of Reels debuting has to do with the news of TikTok disappearing
- Will IGTV ever be a standalone app?
- The benefit of jumping on new features as soon as they’re launched
- The future of monetization for Creators on Instagram
- What to get excited about re: future updates to IG
- The revealing question Jon asks me about my process
Important Links from the Show
Follow Jon on Instagram @Yoiushaei
Make sure you scroll down, tap to rate with 5 stars, and then select, “Write a Review.” Then be sure to DM me with a screenshot and I’ll do my best to read your review on the air!
If you liked this episode, check out Episode #402 from Build Your Tribe – Tips to Create the Best Photos for Instagram
Leave me a message about this episode!
To submit requests for The Chalene Show: firstname.lastname@example.org
To submit requests for Build Your Tribe: email@example.com