In a past episode, Bret and I shared with you our recent journey with Bret’s dad and Alzheimer’s. Today, you’ll hear a very candid conversation on how things have changed within the last 6 months — including, Bret’s dad’s health and how we, as a family, are dealing with all the changes.
You’ll find out:
- Details on Bob’s (Bret’s dad) character / traits before Alzheimer’s and his role in family life
- How different family members have been affected by Bob’s Alzheimer’s progression
- Why Bob isn’t talking at this time
- What is a loop in Bob’s brain
- Why it’s very normal to have a degree of resentment with a family member’s declining health
- What Bret regrets and finds to be the saddest part about his father’s role in the family — moving forward
- What Bret’s mom currently resents re: her husband’s condition
- Why Bret won’t travel right now
- Where Bret and I are focusing our attention at this time
- Sources of comedic relief our family has relied on
- The ONE thing that helped Bret’s emotional struggles
- The importance of holding onto compassion when you find yourself frustrated with a sick family member
- How to respond to someone on a brain loop the right way
- How we approached the subject of taking Bob’s driver’s license away
- The creative lie we told Bob about his wife’s whereabouts and why
- Why you shouldn’t force your beliefs (about care-taking) onto other family members
Important Links from the Show
Click here to subscribe to The Chalene Show!
Click here to rate and review!
Make sure you scroll down, tap to rate with 5 stars, and then select, “Write a Review.” Then be sure to DM me with a screenshot and I’ll do my best to read your review on the air!
If you liked this episode, check out Episode #520 – Caring For Aging Parents
Leave me a message about this episode!
To submit requests for The Chalene Show: firstname.lastname@example.org
To submit requests for Build Your Tribe: email@example.com