What is Adrenal Fatigue (AF)?? The adrenal glands are designed to help your body deal with stress. When we are in a constant state of elevated stress, the adrenal glands become depleted leaving you in a constant state of fatigue. To combat this we gravitate towards stimulants such as coffee and sugar! But these only end up making the situation worse.
In this episode we dive into AF head on talking about how we’re depleting these glands, how to notice the symptoms related to AF, and what steps you should take to heal from AF.
Topics discussed in this episode:
– How the adrenal glands are connected to the feet and how pain exhibited in the feet can be related to AF.
– How the adrenal system affects body fat and cortisol levels.
– Cortisol is a hormone produced in the body in response to stress. When cortisol is elevated it subsequently increases insulin production. This increase in insulin production, causes the body to store more fat. Elevated levels of insulin can also eventually lead someone to becoming pre-diabetic or a diabetic.
– High cortisol levels also suppress your thyroid function, and proper function of your thyroid is what keeps you lean and mean.
– Restore your adrenal glands though: proper sleep of 7 to 8 hours a night, doing the right kind of exercise, taking a moment everyday to hit the pause button and just breathe, and focusing on a whole food based diet.
– To help reset you adrenal glands Dr. Paul Garcia recommends doing an illumination diet the removes the common offenders: Wheat and gluten, diary, eggs, peanuts, soy, and corn. Illuminate these for 30 days, then slowly integrate them back in and paying attention to how you body feels when you do
– Pay attention to adrenal gland stimulants such as: coffee, sugar and alcohol.
Links from this episode:
– Dr. Paul Garcia’s website: www.dr-pablo.com
– Dr. Paul Garcia’s blog: www.ourhealthytribe.com
Dr. Paul Garcia
Paul J. Garcia is a licensed and board certified Doctor of Chiropractic, Applied Kinesiologist and Functional Medicine Practitioner. Dr. Paul has been studying, teaching, and practicing alternative medicine for the past 15 years. He received his Bachelor of Science degree in Kinesiology from the University of Colorado in 1995 and completed his doctorate at the Los Angeles College of Chiropractic (LACC) where he was honored with the distinction of magna cum laude in 1999. He has trained with world- renowned healers and educators throughout the U.S. and around the globe.
Dr. Paul’s approach is shaped by his own recovery from multiple sports injuries, chronic digestive issues, and bouts of depression. After seeing more than 10 doctors and spending thousands of dollars trying to get relief, Dr. Paul decided to take his health into his own hands. Though extensive study and research, continual self-experimentation, and formal training in applied kinesiology and functional medicine, he recovered from this debilitating illness and now shares what he learned with his clients. His clients include professional athletes, celebrates, weekend worriers, and families.
Dr. Paul teaches and practices functional medicine, applied kinesiology and chiropractic. He has a personalized approach to health care that recognizes the biological uniqueness of each patient. In contrast to conventional care, which is almost entirely focused on suppressing symptoms, Dr. Paul eliminates symptoms by addressing the underlying cause of a problem. It is an evidence-based field of health care that views the body as an interconnected whole, and recognizes the importance of these connections in health and disease.
Dr. Paul lives in San Clemente, CA with his wife and three sons.