Today, I talk with Charles Johnson who suffered an unimaginable tragedy that strikes too many families — and has made it his life’s mission to save others from the same fate.
Immediately after Charles’ healthy and full-of-life wife, Kira, gave birth to their second beautiful child, she began struggling in ways the hospital staff couldn’t explain. Charles watched and implored the staff that something was horribly wrong. But Kira died within hours.
Charles has shared his story and advocated for change through countless live events and media appearances all over the country, including at the March for Moms rally in Washington, D.C.
He testified before Congress to have laws changed in hopes of putting an end to the maternal death crisis and patients rights.
You’ll find out:
- Where (hospital) Charles and Kira decided to give birth and why
- Kira’s complications with the birth of their first child
- When Charles first noticed something was wrong with Kira after the birth of their second child
- Play-by-play of Kira’s health deteriorating until resulting her in her death
- Shocking stats re: women and childbirth in the U.S.
- How members of the hospital staff communicated with Charles re: Kira’s declining health and eventual death
- When Charles began to understand the depth of what went wrong
- How Charles investigated and learned the devastating medical history of the doctors who operated on Kira
- What Charles discovered re: the stats of African American women and the maternal mortality crisis
- The percentage of maternal deaths that could be prevented according to the CDC
- What inspired Charles to finally file a lawsuit
- Shocking things Charles has learned re: medical laws in California
- How Charles channeled his grief
- How Charles built his legal team
- The change that needs to happen re: medical laws and claims (and how we can help)
- What is a microPledge
Important Links from the Show
Make sure you scroll down, tap to rate with 5 stars, and then select, “Write a Review.” Then be sure to DM me with a screenshot and I’ll do my best to read your review on the air!
Learn how you can help Charles make change at www.4kira4moms.com
Download the Patreon App and Join The Chalene Show at patreon.com/TheChaleneShow
If you liked this episode, check out Episode #797 – Love is Love A Surrogacy Journey | with, Scott and Shaun T Blokker
Leave me a message about this episode!
To submit requests for The Chalene Show: firstname.lastname@example.org
To submit requests for Build Your Tribe: email@example.com