Dealing with mental health issues when it comes to a loved one can be extremely difficult — for everyone involved. Learning what you should do and what you should not do to help anyone one with a mental illness can get super complicated. The guilt we feel can be so consuming. Wanting to save those who are suffering can turn into codependence — which isn’t healthy for anyone.
Today, I share my thoughts on this sensitive topic. Without going into too much personal information, I reveal that I, too, am dealing with a loved one who suffers from mental illness. And I’ll share ways in which I have learned to process and cope.
WARNING: I am NOT a mental health expert or a therapist. These are just my own personal thoughts and opinions. Think of this episode as a venting session between close friends.
You’ll find out:
- Why we don’t often think about family/friends of those struggling with mental health
- How to separate the person from their mental health condition
- Why family dynamics are often destroyed when a loved one suffers mental health issues
- Why having a loved one with mental health struggles is absolutely normal
- What I don’t like about myself re: my own experience with this matter
- The importance of truly understanding codependency
- The difference between couldn’t and wouldn’t
- The best outlet (when you have someone in your life with mental health problems)
IMPORTANT LINKS FROM THE SHOW
Make sure you scroll down, tap to rate with 5 stars, and then select, “Write a Review.” Then be sure to DM me with a screenshot and I’ll do my best to read your review on the air!
Check out Talkspace.com Use the code CHALENE and get $100 off your first month!
Listen to these Episodes:
- Understanding Sibling Strife – # 823
- Understanding Adult Children of Alcoholics or Addicts – ACOA | with, Jody Lamb – #540
- Unhitching From the Shame and Codependency of Alcoholics and Addicts | with, Jody Lamb – #541
Download the Patreon App and Join The Chalene Show at patreon.com/TheChaleneShow
If you liked this episode, check out Episode #863 – How to Overcome Fear of Judgment