Depending on who you ask, we are either heading toward the holiday season or already smack dab in the middle of it! And one thing is certain, social media usage — Instagram, Facebook, YouTube — goes up over the holidays and you need to post and take advantage of it!
Let’s throw in some stats, shall we?
- Did you know that social media traffic spikes 73% during the holidays!? I mean, with a decent percentage of people off of work (for at least some part of the holiday season), it makes sense that there would be an uptick in scrolling.
- Facebook reports that it has seen an increase of 26% in posting over the holidays from November to January 1st.
- 80% of Facebook posts during the holidays are from mobile — significantly more than usual. This is because people are spending less time at their computer/desk/work station, and they’re spending a lot more time at home (and on their phone).
In a recent survey, Instagram asked people for the top reasons they use social media over the holidays:
ONE – Share holiday experiences. Duh, that makes sense.
TWO – Get inspired by products shared by others.
So, if you’re a business owner, especially, your goal should be to produce share-worthy content. A great way to figure out if your content/post is share-worthy, is to ask yourself,
“Would a stranger care to see this?”
THREE – Send greetings.
This might inspire ideas for posts, like:
- holiday announcements
- catchy slogans and jingles
- puns and jokes relating to the holidays
Again, think share-worthy; for ways to promote your business and get some more eyeballs or clicks to your Instagram profile.
FOUR – Get inspiration for shopping.
Literally, finding and searching for gift ideas within the app. And that’s what IG wants you to do as they’ve been increasing emphasis — their (relatively) new shopping cart, for example — on the whole shopping component.
What’s number FIVE?
Well, for that and ideas for holiday content (exactly what to post), check out the Build Your Tribe episode below:
And don’t forget to subscribe to BYT for weekly shows dedicated to your social media dominance!